Toms River High School North Nautical Star Theatre Company – The $10,000 Winners
Toms River High School North Nautical Star Theatre Company won the Engage Toms River Fire Company No. 1 Halloween Parade Competition with their 3D TRopoly Board.
They then opened up another round of community voting to decide who and where in Toms River should be represented on the TRopoly Board.
Those Winners Are:
Standout Community Leaders
1. Father G. Scott Shaffer, Pastor at St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church
2. Jonathan Petro, Partner at the Law Offices of Carluccio, Leone, Dimon, Doyle and Sacks, YMCA Board Member, Big Brothers/ Big Sisters Volunteer, Toms River County Club Board Member
3. Tom Kelaher, Mayor of Toms River
Best Toms River Charities
1. Big Brothers/ Big Sisters
2. Habitat for Humanity
3. Ocean of Love
Most Inspiring Teacher
1. Karin Krenek, Donovan Catholic High School
2. Carolyn Little, Toms River High School North
3. Kyle Seiverd, Toms River High School North
Local Businesses/ Groups that Further the Arts
1. Color Me Mine
2. Exit 82 Theatre Company
3. Toms River High School North Nautical Star Theatre Company
Best Specialty Food Shops
1. LaScala Pastry Shop
2. OB-CO Donuts
3. Yellow Brick Road Ice Cream
Best Toms River Restaurant
1. Aqua Blu Restaurant
2. Cool Beans Coffee House
Favorite Things to Do in Toms River
1. Ocean County Mall
2. Our many beaches
3. Robert J. Novins Planetarium
Best Local Business
1. Accents by Narcissus Florals
2. Hecht Trailers
3. Uncle Dood’s Donuts
Best Toms River Event
1. Toms River Farmer’s Market
2. Toms River Fire Company #1’s Halloween Parade
3. NJ State Ice Cream Festival
1. Charitable Organization: This can be a charity that is local to Toms River or is national or even international. The only requirement is that they have an office or facility in Toms River. You cannot nominate the YMCA or The Grunin Foundation as they already have spots on the board.
2. Community Leader: This is a person who demonstrate leadership in our community. They need to show extraordinary dedication and outstanding citizenship.
3. Local Business or Group that Furthers the Arts: Examples would be acting studios, dance studios, music studios, art galleries, art studios, pottery studios, martial arts, local theatre companies, etc. You cannot nominate The Grunin Foundation as they already have spots on the board.
4. Inspiring Teacher: The teacher must teach in one of the elementary, middle, or high schools in Toms River. This is a superb teacher, someone who motivates and inspires on an everyday basis. A teacher who genuinely cares about the welfare of their students.
5. Favorite Restaurant: This cannot be a chain restaurant. It must have a Toms River address. This can be a restaurant, diner, eatery, coffee house, etc.
6. Favorite Things to Do in Toms River: Examples spas, girls or guys day out, fun weekend trips, places to go out with friends, educational museums/ facilities, local clubs, etc.
7. Favorite Local Business: This cannot be a chain business. It must have a Toms River address.
8. Best Toms River Event: This must be an event that is hosted in Toms River. Usually Toms River events are hosted in Huddy Park, in downtown Toms River, or in our beautiful parks. Often times they include food, games, entertainment, and music.
9. Best Specialty Food Shop: This cannot be a chain specialty shop. It must have a Toms River address. It can be a store for a specialty food like cupcakes, donuts, candy, ice cream, ethnic food store, etc. It could even be a mobilized or immobilized food truck.
Round 1 – Nominations
The community can nominate their favorite Toms River people and places.
Once the nomination round closes, TRHSN Nautical Stars Theatre Company will tally the nominations. Then open voting will begin.
Round 2 – Open Voting
The voting will be multiple choice based solely on the votes received during the nomination round. There can only be one vote per email address.
Round 1: Wednesday, September 30 until Tuesday, October 6 at 8 pm.
The nominations will be tallied and the final list for voting will be released on Thursday, October 8.
Round 2: Voting will continue until Sunday, October 11 at 8 pm.
Winners will be announced on www.engagetomsriver.com on Monday, October 12.
Only one vote per email address. If a vote is tallied more than once from the same email address, all of the votes from that email will be deleted.
History of the Engage Toms River Fire Company No. 1 Halloween Parade Challenge
To bring home our town’s new slogan as a result of the Greater Toms River Chamber #TagTR Competition and in line with The Jay and Linda Grunin Foundation’s goal to engage all of Toms River’s citizens in the arts, we are excited to announce the Engage Toms River Halloween Parade Competition.
We are working with WOBM, the Greater Toms River Chamber of Commerce and the Toms River Artists Community (TRAC) to challenge you to create the greatest float in the history of the Toms River Fire Department No. 1 Halloween Parade—with the winning design team receiving $10,000!!!
A float that shows why Toms River is the best place to live, work and play.
The team who designs the best float will be given a materials budget of $5000 to utilize from concept through to the finished product. On the night of the Toms River Fire Department #1 Halloween Parade, after you make your triumphant trip down the parade route, you’ll receive a $10,000 check from The Jay and Linda Grunin Foundation!
To help you, TRAC will donate up to 160 hours of help. The Jay and Linda Grunin Foundation will then give TRAC a $5000 donation for their great community spirit!
Entries must be submitted digitally by September 18th. (Entry deadline is closed)
Top 3 as Chosen by the Jury
Toms River High School North Nautical Theater Company
The Judges Top 3 choices were announced on WOBM’s Shawn and Sue September 21st.
The community now has one week to vote for your favorite parade float concept. Click here to vote!
The winner will be announced on Shawn and Sue September 30th.
We’ll all get to see the winning float on Halloween Night at the historic, amazing Toms River Halloween Parade!
See you all on Halloween!
We Have A Winner!
Halloween Parade Challenge
Deadline for digital submissions: September 18th.
Judges Top 3: September 21st.
People’s Vote: September 21st – September 29th (midnight).
Winner Announced: September 30th.
Round 1: Nominations for the Board, September 30th – October 6th, 8pm.
Round 2: Voting for Board positions, October 6th – October 11th, 8pm.
Toms River Halloween Parade: October 31st.
Email: Yvonne@EngageTomsRiver.com with any questions.